View Single Post
Old 08-04-2003, 05:10 AM
Borzak
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Shorting Tx diode

Originally posted by GalenB
Hi Jim,

I can answer this question, and your previous question about the need for the diode in the first place, very easily with another question... Do you have any JR chargers lying around? JR chargers have reversed polarity relative to the rest of the world with the same plug size or shape. That's why there is a diode is in the charging circuit of your 8U -- to protect your transmitter from JR chargers... So the practical reason for not jumping the diode is if you cannot absolutely guarantee you'll never accidentally plug a JR charger into your 8U. If you can make that guarantee then it's not a problem to jump it. I would, however, suggest using a poly switch. Same protection as the diode, and the ability to fast charge... I had my jumper replaced when I last had my transmitter tuned... It was cheap and is a better solution. Also -- it is a good idea to get your transmitter tuned every couple of years...
Be easier for Futaba/Hitec etc.. to just change the plug outputs of the TX to not fit the chargers from a JR TX. Just like they do on servos.

I'm kinda upset at the whole deal myself. I have a new Futaba which no one has diagramed where the diode is and I really hate the idea of poking around to find it.

I really shouldn't have to take apart a brand new radio to use a charger that is becoming more and more popular.

By the same token why does JR not have to put a diode in it to protect it from a Futaba charger?