RCU Forums - View Single Post - ESM Dauntless
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 08:46 AM
andym817

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM Dauntless

The dive brakes are a little bit of a challenge but they do work. My push rods actually survived the crash. They are a little crude and will be nicer on the second bird but here is a pic.

I had to cut a hole almost 1" square in the trailing edge to be able to work with it but they turned out good with no visible linkage.

I used a wheel collar, 2 long and 1 short push rods.

1) Attach the short push rod to the servo arm with the supplied push rod connector and be sure to leave a little extra rod sticking out the back side so you can make adjustments.
2) Slip the wheel collar over the short push rod and install the servo.
3) Open the dive brakes and slip the long push rods into the hole you cut in the trailing edge of the wing.
4) Attach the push rods to the brass connectors they tell you to install in each flap.
5) Pinch all the push rods together and slide the wheel collar over them.
6) Align the dive brakes with the rest of the trailing edge of the wing and tighten the wheel collar
7) For extra insurance I silver soldered all the push rods and wheel collar together ( BE SURE YOU HAVE EVERYTHING WHERE YOU WANT IT BEFORE YOU SOLDER!!!!)

Mine worked great, I only tried them in flight one time and that was enough for me. They are like throwing a sea anchor out of you boat at 30 MPH and will definitely put you into a dive.

I'll use my camera for pictures on the actual build instead of my phone. If you need better pics for your question let me know.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70023.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1540356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49154.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1540357