RCU Forums - View Single Post - Exponential versus Linear controls
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 04:45 AM
Augie11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Exponential versus Linear controls

Years ago when I got my first Tx with expo, I was excited about exploring the possibilities. Like you, I found out it is very useful in 'smoothing out' the flying characteristics of almost any aircraft. But with a tried and trusted plane with which you are very familiar, at first it feels like the aircraft is non-responsive. That's because you are so used to the way the plane handles.

With a new plane however, if you start inputting expo right away, you wind up with a different 'feel'. I'm sure you'll get many good replies to your question. I pretty much have expo on all functions these days but only in the 10-25% range. I know others who use 30-50% routinely. It's all in what makes you comfortable, what works best for a given airframe and how you fly. My best advice would be to dial it in slowly in small increments until you attain the characteristics you are looking for. Take your time and I think you'll find it will ultimately make you a smoother pilot. Just keep in mind every plane is different.

Best of luck!