RCU Forums - View Single Post - center diff locked up on Backdraft 3.5...!!!!
Old 01-07-2011, 04:26 PM
1ofmyfuns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default center diff locked up on Backdraft 3.5...!!!!

Dang-it guys this aint good.........I finally got my fuel today and started my buggy for the first time, I let it just idle for 2 full tanks of fuel after setting the carb to where it would stay running, and then after filling it up the 3rd time, I decided to just run it around the back yard idled up just fast enough topull the buggy around, I had planned on doing this for a couple of tanks and then on the 5th one drive it a little bit faster to help finish up the good ole break-in.

Well, this buggy had other plans in mind............after only 1-2 minutes of running at the fast idle on the 3rd tank she just all at once stopped in its tracks.....the engine was still pur-in like a kitten and all looked fine but when I gave it a tad bit of throttle the engine reved a little but the buggy just sat there so Ipicked it up and rotated each wheel independently and they all turn easy and smooth, I then held one back wheel still and tried to rotate the other locked........ I then rotated just one at a time the front wheels each alone turn just fine, then I held one of them still and tried to rotate the other and same result as back locked.........

I then carried the buggy over and put it down on a table and pushed it in the forward direction and all 4 wheels are locked when I try to push it.

So, I have a center diff. that is locked up with about 1-2 mins of 1-2 MPH use on it..........this isn't at all making me very happy about the $200+ I just spent on this thing, I planned on working on it and having to replace diff's and other things in the drive train but not untill I had actually run the buggy a bit and maybe even roughed it up a little.

Anyway, I will be pulling the center diff out and taking alook at it, is there any particular something I should be looking forin thisdiff when I get into it........I'm asking this question to the ones whohave already repaired and/or replaced these diff's.

Thanks all and I look forward to hearing some points of view and things toconsider when I get it off and opened up.

ShanG.