RCU Forums - View Single Post - I live in a country where I can't get Methanol, any ideas for how to run a glow engine!
Old 01-08-2011, 04:56 PM
MickMack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I live in a country where I can't get Methanol, any ideas for how to run a glow engine!

Yes Vanuatu is a beautiful country, everything is green the locals here are both happy and friendly. Could seem like a Utopia if it it wasn't for corruption and a few others!
For reference to American interests WW II had the US with a major Air Base on Santo one of the norther islands. Back then Vanuatu was called the New Hebrides (it is a group of islands), the movie "South Pacific" and Bali Hai originated.

I have been here for around 9 years started a couple of electric cars, a couple of electric model planes originally, then coaxial heli's, I gave up from being shot out of the sky by interference which seems prevelent on every frequency, and no luck on 40hz 27mhz or any other! Be fine sometimes take a plane off and you can just see it get to 30 meters away and everything goes haywire. Only do that so many times before you give up. Once I was prepared to invest in 2.4ghz I started on Trex 450's as I bought a 2nd hand package deal as the new price on a Spektrum was almost as much. Without continuing on too much of a diatribe! As a result of 2.4ghz and electric power there are a few guys here who fly once a week together.
I never brought the Tmax over simply because it was glow powered, but I figured how hard could it be. I am in a mid life crisis returning to the fun things I used to do as a kid!
The novelty is doing something different, not that I could run an electric.
So thanks for the Advise Ray & Downunder

There are cleaning supply/distributor places here (because of the resorts) I guess I could try them for the Methanol cleaning fluid!!
I'll let you know whether I come up with something!

I do have a question though if Metho (Methylated Spirits) is 95% (85%?) ethanol, what is the 0ther 5% and why doesn't that 5% make a difference.
Response from Loktite401 (Ray)
>Well the modern "metho" is 95% Ethanol but the other 5% is likely to contain some methanol just to make it unpleasant to drink and to give you a headache. While I've never drunk it myself I'd imagine it to be a fairly bland liquid compared with the >complex and interesting tastes of say a nicely blended Scotch.
Do you know whether the other 5% is methanol?

Mike.