RCU Forums - View Single Post - To smoke or not to smoke?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: To smoke or not to smoke?

ORIGINAL: SharpProp

Would you bother with the excess weight of a smoke system on a 30cc sbach? I love the idea but I don't want to take too much away from it's 3d capabilities.
Well I'm going to disagree with dryverman....

In GENERAL, putting smoke system in a model will add about 1lb. to the weight and that's a BUNCH more weight for a 30cc size model to add to the wing loading. I would NOT share smoke pump power directly from the rx buss either for some of the same reasons I wouldn't run ignition power from that source. If you want to not run an additional battery, the solution is to pick up a power switch with multiple power out leads or a battery with multiple power output leads and use a separate switch for the smoke pump.

That said; smoke is kind of neat on models but chasing down the smoke fluid, getting the pump and your radio setup for a decent smoke output can be a challenge, if the smoke fluid gets loose insided the model you've got a real mess to deal with (anyone who say's they've NEVER had a leak probably hasn't played with it much), it's not exactly an inexpensive proposition and to top it off, the extra weight will change the model's flight characteristics.

JMHO....