View Single Post
Old 08-06-2003, 07:29 PM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Servo Chatter

Originally posted by IronZ
Hi all,
I just received my three new MPI servos (MX-450MG) and am having a problem. I'm running 4.8V to them and they have a mind of their own. All three move erratically. One is not so bad but the other two go freakin' nuts. I took them off of the 24 inch extensions and this seemed to help some, but they were still erratic. Is it possible they are bad? What could go wrong in a servo to make it do this? I also hooked up some older nylon geared versions of the same servo and they were fine!?!?!?!?

Thanks for any help,
IronZ
If you were SURE that removing the 24 inch extensions was an improvement, then I'm going to guess that your problem is not in the servo itself, but in the wiring.

You could have a problem anywhere in the system that could show up in the servos so I would first start checking some other stuff like:

Bypass your switch harness and plug the battery directly into the RX. Any better?

Plug and unplug all the connectors in the system several times to see if any corrosion in a connector might be causing the problem. Any better?

Try a different RX (just for the heck of it). Any better?

You're probably doing this check on the bench with the TX right next to the RX antenna; try placing the TX 20 or 30 feet away. Any better?

If the RX antenna is running right next to, and parallel, to a metal pushrod, move the antenna to another location. Any better?

I could keep going, but the real point is that it isn't likely that you have coincidentally gotten three new servos that were all bad. There's something going on somewhere and it's probably not the servos themselves. If it were just one servo giving you a problem, I'd say to switch out a known good one into the plug of the problem one and see if that changed anything. But all three bad? Probably not.

Highflight