RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Build Thread: Yellow Aircrfat F/A-18 Single
Old 01-28-2011, 11:44 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Build Thread: Yellow Aircrfat F/A-18 Single

Hi,

It's been a minute since I've worked on this bird because wings were late (out of stock for a couple of months). I tried to buy some off RCU, but nobody wanted to sell. They just came in, so I've gotten back to work on this. My customer has been very patient, so I'm doubling up on the hours dedicated to building in a day since I'm currently working on two projects.

The wings are sheeted foam, with carbon cloth sandwiched in between. They're VERY stiff that way. I'm installing the plug-in wings, so I had to grind down the aluminum spars to fit inside the slots. You have to move (enlarge) the slot in the wing for the spar because it sits on the outsides of the two main bulkheads. I used a super-sharp Cutco knife to carve out the foam. It came out nicely, and tomorrow, I'm going to fill the stock slot with a balsa block.

The wings have a slot for the ailerons precut, since flaps are optional. I'm going to finish this line out and add the flaps. The servos for the flaps will go into the root of the wing and be totally invisible (save for the slot for the servo arm).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94807.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1554938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni25043.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1554939