RCU Forums - View Single Post - wanting to start questions
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 02:56 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: wanting to start questions

I actually started with a Cap232 from Great planes. However, in Basic, you can fly whatever you like, once you get above Basic then the plane must resemble one that is capable of flying in an Aerobatic box. Extra's, Yak and some Edges are the most popular

I've seen good pilots fly a 90 size electric and beat the pants off of guys flying 40 percent planes. I've seen a Goldberg Sukhoi kick all of the pilots in basic on a very windy day and he was flying a 90 sized Saito

I would highly suggest you head over to the IMAC website at http://www.mini-iac.com and ask question over there, you will get much more help

As a mutli time judge of all the NE regions contests plus a few times at the Nationals, here are a few things to be aware of.

Just because it is windy, that does not mean the contest will be called off, I've flown in winds as high as 25mph with gust into the 30's

1) flying a perfectly wind corrected line both horizontal and vertical, wings level at all times (huge point deductions come from this all the time)
2) Can you present the correct maneuver in the most logical place for judging (known as Airspace control Score)
3) Are you really familiar with trimming your plane BEYOND using the trim tabs (engine thrust angles, throws, etc. which takes a load of work off you as the pilot but not required per the rules)
4) Do you know exactly what the judges are expecting to see and where the deductions will come from.

While I may sound condescending, I really am not trying to be, as an experienced judge and a pilot who flies IMAC regularly and a person that teaches IMAC, you would be surprised how many times someone says they know all the rules and then get discouraged when they go to their first contest and get very low scores. I typically hold what we call in the NorthEast region an IMAC Primer. That is I/we come to your location and spend the day going over the rules in detail, then we take your plane, fly it, get it properly trimmed and fly it again, then we run through the Basic sequence and you get to fly it as well as judge it. Most times, I am asked to stay for the weekend for some extra work.

In FL, that is known as the SouthEast Region, contact Curtis Couzier (you can find is contact info on the IAMC website under the SouthEast region, he can hook you up with someone close to you that flies IMAC and is willing to watch you and help you.

Also, one unwritten requirement is you go have fun, it can be really boring while waiting for your time to fly but you can always help out doing the many other things going on. The IMAC folks are a great bunch and always willing to lend a hand. I've seen planes go down during events a practice and seen pilots offer their planes so that person can compete. I've seen equipment failures where another pilot has the same plane and saw them swap the elevators between the planes (happened at the 2009 NATS in the UNlimited class), not tot mention the after hours fun