RCU Forums - View Single Post - Old radio work?
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 06:55 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Old radio work?

ORIGINAL: ezrollin

The reason I was asking this question was because I turned on my Tower Hobbies Rx and my servos seemed to twitch every once in awhile. I was wondering if I was getting interference or something and was scared about setting up this plane with a bad radio system = crash and burn.
Do you know how to perform a range test? That simple test has worked for the age of the 72Mhz band and problems have been found while doing this simple test and models have been saved.

I'm going to assume that you do not know what a range test is. So here we go.
1. Leave the antenna of your radio collapsed inside the radio.
2. Turn on the radio and the receiver.
3. Place the aircraft away from metal objects like a tin roof, or vehicles. Preferably at waist level but ground level should be sufficient if the field is open.
4. While moving the sticks on the transmitter, Start walking away from the model counting your steps. Stop when the model does not react to the commands of the transmitter.
5. Walk back, substracting the steps from the original count until you re-gain control of the model.

I typically get about 80 paces before I start loosing control. Find the absolute minimum distance from the manual of your radio.

Servos twitching in an enclosed area, or under a metal roof do not mean anything. Since you do not describe the location of your test, I'm going to assume that you did the test indoors.

2.4GHz > 72 FM?
What is the purpose of this comment / statement / writing?

Rafael