RCU Forums - View Single Post - Mounting Servos inside Wing
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 06:49 AM
joeskeeter
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mounting Servos inside Wing

I ca'd the clevises, I'm still checking and rechecking, cleaning blood stains and ink markings, maiden is close and I'm getting nervous.

Flying rc helis makes you very anal retentive about setup.

Still, no matter how careful you are there are so many things that can go wrong that
you can become so setup oriented that you are scared to go flying.

I had a very knowledgable and experienced rc heli flier that was also a helicopter
pilot in the army that taught me everything about setting up rc helis.
He spent hours with me, showing me how to setup a heli.
One day we took the Sceadu 50 out for a flight and we had spent along time on the Sceadu
and he said wow, this thing is perfect.
He wanted me to use a higher headspeed than I was used to or thought was a good idea.
But since he was the expert and I was the student I deferred to his judgement.
(I work, when I am working, in a dangerous trade and the exposure to dangerous spinning objects is
so extreme that if you think too much about the danger you would not be able to function.)
I have a high tolerance for danger in other words.

First time I have ever seen a heli main blade blow apart like this, it would have been
a fantastic youtube video if we had been filming it.
One blade flew 50 feet at least so fast that you could not see it, if anyone had been at the level the blade was flying
then it most likely had enough velocity to penetrate a skull.

Cause of failure, I forgot to ca the 2 main blade grips.
Correction : The grip that attaches to the wood blade itself has to be ca'd.
You don't ca the main blade holders, those have to be loose so that when the headspeed goes
up the blades have to be free moving so that they can straighten out.
And here to0, is a common cause of failure, the grips can't be too loose nor
can they be too tight. Takes quite a while to learn helis is all I can say about that !!!!!!!!!

The heli was done. Hirobos are real expensive to fix, I think my repair estimate in parts needed was about $300. The kits were $300 at the time but I
decided to abandon Hirobo and got A Century Hawk.