RCU Forums - View Single Post - Speed Contest Wager!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2003, 05:47 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speed Contest Wager!!!!!!!

EW

I am a little confused.

So when was this straight line speed thing discussed previously? The only reference I can find to a straight line speed contest was mentioned was in your post #44 in the original thread and again at the start of this thread and a few posts before this one. It really is moot point, IMO anyway. I only mention it because you keep falling back on it.

What pylon racing rules are you talking about? Those I mentioned have no influence or requirements that limit your using a Jett 90 to spank the YS! YS-110 against Jett 90, mono-mono. mounted to the WM Mustang Albeit I thought you were talking of the Sport Jett 90, as I made several inferences to the 76 and 90's. I wasn't aware that Jett even offered a BSE 90 FIRE. Looks like a very nice engine. Your quoted numbers of 18K make a lot more sense now.

I never really inferred to the contest being a straight up pylon race until you mentioned it earlier, I was thinking more along the lines of the straight away speeds on the course. I'd be willing to bet it doesn't take any more skill to come off the turn and burn down the straight away than your capable of, so much for the skill involved. Besides all the other fluff, don't you "extreme speed" guys have to turn your models any way (you know much like a pylon race)? I know my DD at 600mph is turning every time I blink otherwise its a speck on the horizon!

Yes, I am well aware of the problems the high revving small diameter props create with regard to static thrust. This a typical problem with this stuff and lends merit to why the YS will spank the Jett in the WM Mustang! These models have a 62mm/3.25" spinner. While the largest percentage of the work is realized near the tip, this is a factor.

You have made several references to the disparaging difference the Jett will make in other airframes, so be it. BUT this is not what I was or any others were discussing, especially the thread originator. The WM Mustang is what this discussion is about. I would agree that in the right airframe the Jett 90 should be faster than a YS-110. I never discounted or suggested anything different, in fact I never commented until now.

I also agree to some extent that the more power you apply against a common drag coefficient that faster you'll go. But there are many variables here and it is simply not this simple.

As you mentioned, my statements are reflective of the application posed, i.e WM Mustang and are correct of this application.

YS Engines and Warbirds using 30% fuel is like having training wheels on a bike. I did mention high Nitro fuel several times. 45% is pretty common at the field and 65-85% is not that uncommon. There is a learning curve with the higher nitro fuels and it can get expensive, but these engines become fire breathing behemoths. If you ever heard the noise a Top Fuel dragster develops then you maybe able to extrapolate and imagine the music the YS can produce on fuel.

I have a few YS Engines too:
4) YS 120SC's, 2) YS-140L's, 1) YS-140FZ, 1) YS-140DZ and one highly modifed punched out and reworked YS-120SC, 3) YS-91FZ's and 3) YS-110's. I also have several YS-45 rear exhaust powered twin models and another six or seven YS-45 side and rear exhaust engines in various aircraft or in the box. Not to mention a few YS-60's laying around as well.

I'm willing to put this thing to bed and go play in the Pylon Racing Forum now (do we have Warbird Pylon Racing Forum?). :tired:

Have fun with your endeavors and may all your models arrive on time at the appropriate location and in one piece.