RCU Forums - View Single Post - Making a nose cone mold for an Explorer 2M glider
Old 02-25-2011, 04:02 PM
Roguedog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making a nose cone mold for an Explorer 2M glider

Hey all,

My Dirty Birdy Mold project was put on hold as I have never done this sort of thing before and did not want to screw up the orginal DB 60 fuse while learning how to do one.

So I decided to make a cowl of an Explorer 2M sailplane so as to find a workable method for myself and to share here on RCU for those who took their time and shared their experience with me on how to create a mold. I am so glad I did this too.

As the mold is complete, I’ll post over the next couple of days the process from beginning to the end of the mold making process I did and some ideas of what to do to speed up the process and some what not to do’s to avoid some time consuming mistakes I made along the way.

To my surprise, the process I used on the cowl worked exceptionally well after the bugs were worked out, and I plan to use it on the DB 60 mold thread now that I have a working method. I am not saying this is the best and only way to make a mold, but it was fast, and most important, I had no problem whatsoever when spliting apart the two mold halves, which came apart easily with a little help from an x-acto knife.