RCU Forums - View Single Post - canola oil
Thread: canola oil
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 11:44 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: canola oil

ORIGINAL: earlwb

A good grade of olive oil works as a substitute for castor oil. You want light or clear color extra virgin first press olive oil. The best is all pure and not a blend of various olive oils from around the world. Olive oil has similar traits to castor oil. It works in diesel and glow engines. Several people have run it in diesel engines, and a number of people have used it in model RC car glow engines.

The reason you don't see more people using olive oil in their engines is that we have way too many crooks who mislabel poor grades as being higher quality, lie about its origins, and doing other nefarious things with olive oil to boost their profits. Especially here in the USA, you just don't know what you get for olive oil. Too many companies are cheating with it.

Medicinal castor oil is the same as engine grade castor oil. But you have to be sure they didn't add sugar or flavoring to it first, you want the plain pure kind. Sometimes the cost at the pharmacy for castor oil is less than from the hobby shop, but sometimes it costs more though.

I've used castor oil from walgreens. It was pure with nothing added but was $5 for 4oz.

Evidently, the castor bean crop in India was not good this year, so the oil is more expensive according to the guy at FHS Oils. They sell castor for $30 a gallon. Regardless, I won't chance my engine investment to any other oil, personally.