RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dye in the Resin?
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 08:32 AM
wyowindworks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dye in the Resin?

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

ORIGINAL: vicman

VG,
Usually dye in the epoxy is just to help you see where the glue has reached. I use the technique while fuelproofing a tank bay, etc. Have fun with the bagging! I think it's the best thing since sliced bread for glassing and doing skinned hinges and wings. I haven't done a paint, glass, skin job yet but have done some fantastic glass, carbon, kevlar work so far. [8D]
Also, I may be using the wrong word. They sell bottle of this stuff they refer to as Pigment. That gives me the impression it would have a more opaque finish than just dye. They have around 5 or six colors. I got 3. I am sure there is some info that will come with the stuff, if not I will contact them and see how they recommend to use it.
The pigments do not make an opaque finish. They do make parts with some fun translucent finishes though. Some producers make fuses with a translucent look using resin pigments. If your resin saturation varies in the layup then the color will look splotchy. The thinner the layup the harder it is to get an even looking color. Thickened resins with lots of filler can look opaque with resin pigments.

If you mix too much pigment into the the resin it will function as a flexiblizer for the resin. It will create space between the polymer chains/connections and reduce the potential molecular cross-linking and entanglement. The result is a resin that is softer and has poorer stiffness than desired. Typically, pigments are added in 1% to 2% by volume.

Adam