RCU Forums - View Single Post - coleman camp fuel
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 09:00 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: coleman camp fuel

did I mention the two stroke gas I used in the earlier mentioned weedeater was mixed in either October or January? I've had decent luck with the stuff, if you want to go out of your way to work around it that's fine. I don't know what it's like to work with the real gas like I said, I've dealt with MANY weedeaters and lawn mowers in the last 10 years, I have at least 50 weedeater engines, another 20 chainsaw engines... most of them 10-15 years old or so and work just fine (I only use about 10 of those, rest are to convert or use as spare parts) so they don't get used often, all gotten cheap used because they didn't run, most of them had dried up gas in the carbs that congealed and plugged something, the 4 stroke just needed cleaning, two stroke mostly just needed a $3 regulator diaphragm. I have a Traxxas Monster Buggy with an old Zenoah G230 that runs like a top, I've had it 3-4 years and put maybe a gallon through it, it sits for months on end without being used and it always runs fine, I've blamed the carb a couple times for it not running but it usually turns out to be a fouled plug or dirty air filter or just being over choked. When I run the thing, I run it til it brakes then throw it in the corner, leave old gas in it, when I pull it back out I top off the tank (not draining it) and go again... I run the ethanol gas in weedeaters with single needle carbs without too much issue.

Back a few years ago I advertised my small engine services on craigslist, I had one customer that I had to work on his friggin push mower 3 or 4 times, every change of season, he'll probably call me in the next month... that dang thing kept getting jelled ethanol gas in the carb plugging up the orifices, some of it hardening and being a pain. Being a float carb I told him to run it dry in the fall, if he listened I think it'll work fine for him this season. Similar story with a tiller for another customer, although one time he ran out of gas and I went out of my way to help him out... I tell you these stories to show that I do understand what you preach, except with certain precautions you can use the lesser quality gas without issue. For the unknowing consumer the issue can cost a lot of money in repairs but for someone that understands engines and can work around things it is fine.

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just saying that even though ethanol blend gas sucks it isn't the end of the world, Ive learned to work around it. From what I've heard the gasohol of the 80's was a royal pain (being born in 1982 I don't remember it though), things have improved a bit since then though.

back to the original topic, another thing not mentioned is that camp fuel has less of an odor both unused and burned, but like mentioned it has a lower octane, I've never used it myself.