RCU Forums - View Single Post - Everything you want to know about electric flight
Old 05-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Lone Star Charles

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC FLIGHT

Thanks for the response and thanks for your patience with me. After re-reading post #5 and the links that you provided, and applying the infospecifically to model aviation,see if you thinkI have this right.

1. The motor would not be considered a 3-phase AC induction motor, but a brushless DC (BLDC) or an electronically commutated motor (ECM).

2. I could not figure out whether there were permanent magnets in these motors. I've never held on in my hands or had the opportunity to take one apart.

3. I still could not figure out how the speed was controlled. I can only guess that it is either constant frequency-pulse width modulated, constant pulse-frequency modulated, or a combination of both. From the graphs that I looked at,I strongly suspect that it is only the frequencythat is modulated. Perhaps you could clarify?

Again, as I stated in my original post, none of these questions seems to have a whole lot of importance in how to hook them up or to operate the systems, it's just my own curiosity about how things work. Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

Thanks
Charles