RCU Forums - View Single Post - World's fastest airboat????
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 05:45 AM
Red_Jeepster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: World's fastest airboat????

If I remember right, back in the early 90's there was an article in RC Boat Modeler (I think) that showed a Japanese outrigger style hull and claimed it went well over 100 MPH. I ever heard of it again, but I did take the photo and used it to calculate scale and made my own. Mine was constructed of pink foam, skinned with 1/16th ply, and it HAD TO HAVE an elevator (like a plane) tocontrol the angle of attack at high speeds.
This was before GPS, and since it was all foam/wood it never tracked on radar. It had a YS .45 with rear exhaust/pipe. The whole thing weighed only 3lbs without fueL.
After many attempts to go super fast, and find the "sweet spot" in the elevator, it finally destroyed itself. But I will say, I have never seen an airboat going as fast!

In 1987 I did built a semi-flat (very little V) boat, put a K&B .61 on it and BEAT my 18' Skiff with 65 HP Evenrude!!! Ran circles (literally!) around myself as I had a friend drive the skiff as I ran my airboat around it.
Size: 31" length 16" beam
1/16" Aircraft ply skinned. I just finished one for old time sake, this week. It will get the radio gear installed this weekend, then off we go for the maiden voyage!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12712.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1611664