RCU Forums - View Single Post - Futaba vs. JR
Thread: Futaba vs. JR
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2003, 11:07 AM
Steve Campbell2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba vs. JR

>

How about AFR? I'm interested to know how you did that on a 10X.

Craigman, you've received all excellent replies here. I too have experience with both. Much hay has been made about the supposed difficulty of understanding the 9Z interface. That is simply so much BS. It is actually very intuitive. Yes, there are three pages of "menus". The 10X has three pages of code numbers.

Once you learn the code numbers, the 10X might be a tad faster to get where you want to be, since you do not have to first go to that specific menu page. An example:

You want to adjust your throttle curve. On the 10X, you key in Code 18 and you're there. On the 9Z, you first must go to the Conditions Menu page, then hit TCV. What's better for you; letters or numbers?

The 10X manual is a bit more clearly written. The 9Z manual is NOT the convoluted nightmare some would have you believe, but it does require one to closely read what is there. The moral of that story is that those who want plug'n'play have no business with either of these radios.

Bottom line, after many years with the JR and just over a year with the 9Z: if you are staying with one model type, either radio is good. The 9Z has much more software crammed into it, with dedicated programs for three major types ("regular" fixed wing, helicopter, sailplane). JR stubbornly refuses to do this, and continues to offer a fixed wing version and a heli version. IOW, the 9Z is a more flexible radio in terms of what it will handle. If you don't cross-dress, it is not an issue.

To me, the 9Z is superior because of a few little niceties, such as switch assignability, that the 10X simply does not have. I also have found the AFR function to be a terrific boon, and don't recall any similar capability on the 10-series; which is why I asked the question of sfaust.

Want to be further confused? The long-awaited Futaba 12 channel is a reality, and could be available as early as next year.

Oh, one more thing; the 10X is a true 10-channel radio. For all practical purposes, the 9Z is an eight channel, with an auxillary ninth channel. The extra channels are important to scale and jet guys, I'm told; and may be for the big aerobatic planks as well. As to reliability, either radio has no issues there. Servos, however, are another question. There have been a LOT of problems with JR digital servos in helicopters. Airplane guys haven't had many complaints that I know of.

This topic has been beat to death, but constantly resurfaces as guys like you decide to move up to the top of the line radio gear, and want to cut through all the noise so you can decide how to get the most bang for your buck.

Good luck, and keep up the research.

Steve