RCU Forums - View Single Post - DLE-111 first start... warranty used, but things are looking good.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:43 PM
willig10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DLE-111 first start... warranty used, but things are looking good.

As I stated in an earlier post. I really think the engine seized due to heat. Yes a loose prop may have contributed but only if the engine had a very sudden deceleration or seizure.

I also believe the carb low end needle was too lean. As when the engine was at idle there was no smoke visible at all except after the first start at the beginning of the video.

All engines are gonna make some metal during the initial break in, maybe not as much as was shown on the back of the crankcase plate but will wear in when performing the break in procedure.

Without a micrometer to measure the "choke" of the cylinders, it is impossible for us to determine the root cause if it is heat related. However if the choke was excessive in the cylinders or machined incorrectly a little more idle run in time might have been in order. That said, the buyer owner is not going to know this and will do like anyone else and after a short idle run,go to full power in order to put heat cycles on the engine for break in.

I would sure like to know what the taper/choke in the cylinders is supposed to be. Then again the cylinders may be straight honed.

I am very curious to see what the findings are.

Keep us posted.

Glenn Williams