RCU Forums - View Single Post - My first speed plane attempt now with video
Old 06-07-2011, 07:18 PM
iron eagel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first speed plane attempt now with video

Based on Mike Connors PQ this was my first build of a speed plane, I have decided to named it the PQ Stingray Mk1. The airframe was set up using the stressed skin concept so the wing has no spars to keep the weight down. Still the finished RTF weight is a good eight ounces over the target which was two lbs max. I've included a few shots that show the airframe components being test fit and a few pictures during the build to give you an idea of how it was put together.
Specs 43 inch wingspan with a total of 516 sq inches of wing area.
Weight 2 lb - 8 oz with a 3200 mah 3 cell on board.
Motor HET 2W-23 2850 kv that is rated at 850 watts, with a Castle Creations ICE 100 ESC to put the juice into it, spinning an APC 6X5.5 prop.

Maiden flight was this afternoon and the launch was very interesting it really torqued hard left on launch. I am going to have to come up with a better method than just tossing it into the air...
Well at least it flew and is still in one piece, well more or less... The hatch cover came off but that's after it had been flow a bit, still got it on the back on the ground intact.
Lee the test pilot said "no trim needed right from the start" so I guess it's built straight and setup properly. Really did not get the chance to really see what it could do but it's pretty obvious that it is very quick.
I need to tone down the elevator a bit it's a bit twitchy in pitch, ailerons seem ok though so I think I'll use some expo on the elevator function. I got to come up with a better way to secure the hatch it came off so either the magnetic latch wasn't strong enough or the hinges just gave up I'm not sure which happened first. A launch dolly or a catapult would be helpful it really wants to torque hard left on launch.
I can't get the video off the video camera into my computer because there is no driver for my 7 year old Sony that works with windows 7 sorry about that. It wasn't all that good anyhow so you didn't miss much it would have been nice to see how fast we got it going though...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95612.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1620481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34393.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1620482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43326.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	74.5 KB