View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 08:03 AM
JRgraham
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: carbon fiber tape

ORIGINAL: wyowindworks

ORIGINAL: seattle_helo

I'm not certain but I think woven. I'm looking to reinforce 90 degree corner joint areas of fiberglass to fiberglass and fiberglass to wood formers. I was hoping to get some CF tape that was in the same configuration as fiberglass cloth.
In these situations glass can sometimes perform better due to it's higher strain characteristics. Why use carbon? If the rest of the structure is glass why not just use glass?

Im no scientist, but Iwould use the Carbon Fiber in the areas you mentioned too... More important than the fiber [match] here, Ithink you really want to make sure you match the glue agent used. If your laminating anything to exsisting fiberglass, use the same agent the fiberglass has already; Epoxy to epoxy, or glass resin to resin. (someone may argue or add to this)

Although wyowindworks is correct, there is probly no reason to use carbon to reinforce an already glassed area. Some triangle stock, and another layer of glass cloth would be sufficeint. Carbon looks nicer though and is by all means, stronger.