RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite Giant P-47 Build
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 04:23 PM
billberry189
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Giant P-47 Build

Oldtyme, I did use the ABS cowl, but then I have about 45 years experience with automotive plastic repairs ( I am a retired autobody man and painter). when you get ready for your fiberglas covering check with ACP Composites. They have a nifty .5 oz cloth. You have to be careful using it because it tendsto stretch apart when you pull on it. I used itto cover my wingsusing a first coat of Dupont urethane clear applied over the glass with a soft bristled brush 2 to 3 inches wide. Spread the clear out as thin asyou can get itover the glass while you work out the wringles and bubbles. Let the first coat set up completely.The surface of the wing will look semigloss with a cloth look to it. Next, scuff the surface lightly with 220 or even 180 grit paper if your careful not tosand through the glass. After that brush or spray on a second medium heavy coat of clear. Let it cure over night and then sand with either 220 or 180 grit until you get a smooth surface. After that I plan on using two light coats of grey urethane primer followed by a mist coat of black spray can lacquer as a guide coat. Block the surface until all of the black disappears and you should have anexceptionally smooth surface to work with. This method assumes that you have done all your filler work before you glass the surface. From here you should be able to apply your tape lines for your panels followed by a couple of light coats of primer, rivets, light scuff with 320 or 400 grit ( or even a scotch brite pad if the primer comes outreally smooth). Apply what ever finish color scheme you have decided to use. Because this method can add a bit of weight it is important to pay close attention when you are sanding and sand as much of the filler coats off as possible. I have been following my build weights and I believe I should come in at between 26 and 28 pounds. We'll see.