RCU Forums - View Single Post - Midwest AT-6 Overhaul
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 12:54 PM
smkrcflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwest AT-6 Overhaul

I purchased a used Midwest AT-6 airframe with Robart retracts a few years ago and Im finely getting around to working on it. This will be my first warbird, first gas engine and first retract plane. Its also the largest plane I have ever had, so a lot of first in this one. I will not be doing the maiden flight on this one.

I will be installing a G-26 magneto engine the previous owner used a G-23. The radio equipment will be all new 2.4 GHz with 6v battery. Iā€™m also installing a new fuel system. My plan is to get the plane in the air this year and see how it flys. If it flys well and I like it Im going to strip it and redo it with some kind of covering and latex paint. Ill also use a new canopy and cowl.

The previous owner installed a single flap on the outside of the center section of the wing. Im not going to use this because other people are not having a problem flying this plane without flaps as long as the CG is correct. I fly at a very nice grass field with a long runway (www.farviewflyers.net) so landing should not be a problem. The plane as it sets now without radio equipment or fuel system weighs 14lbs so Iā€™m thinking flying weigh should be around 17lbs.

My first question is related to servos. I did not see a recommendation in the manual for servo torque for each control surface. I will be using two servos for the elevator one for each side. I normal use Hitec or Spektrum servos. So what size servos should I use for each Rudder, elevator and ailerons?

Iā€™m going to replace the old golden rod linkage with new solid metal. Should I use 2-56 or 4-40?

Any suggestions or advice with this overhaul will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93041.jpg
Views:	907
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1640345  

Last edited by smkrcflyer; 03-09-2018 at 04:35 AM.