RCU Forums - View Single Post - Battery wire problem (for new Brand)
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 07:58 AM
dr.pip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery wire problem (for new Brand)

Just been looking at a new range of cheap and cheerful batteries which are getting good reviews overall.

But have noticed that on 1 re-sellers site they warn of the thin discharge wires being only 20AWG and caution people not to discharge above 11 amps...

So the batteries in question are rated at 25c discharge- burst 50c and charge rate up to 5c.
The particular range is up to 1300mah. (after that they change to 18awg for the 1500+ to 2200)

Not brilliant on this subject at all but if I have worked things out could this be dangerous?

I figure 1300 mah = 1.3 amps x 25c = 32.5 amps

I also looked up insulation properties and it appears that silicone is probably ok but
cheap PVC (which these use) is possibly only half the integrity at best and therefore (in this case) exceed the insulation rating by more then double.

No doubt this accounts for this one re-sellers caution but others sell with no mention at all and I realise that few will discharge at 25c.. but 11 amps is much easier to accidently over draw especially if you don’t even think about it as many wont.

I have since written to the manufacturer asking if they intend to deal with problem but they say that unless the customer requires "special order" they will just use their standard wire.

I am leaving out the "make " at the moment in case I am completely wrong

So question is "is this product actually unsafe" or am I really just splitting hairs?