RCU Forums - View Single Post - World Championships Experience
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 06:34 AM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: World Championships Experience

Reflecting some on what I saw this week. There is no particular style of flying favored this year. However the distance is being enforced very well, so all the best scoring pilots are able to maintain approximately 150 meters to 175 meters consistently at that distance. The judges are very keen and all have expert depth perception and can detect an aircraft moving in or out just 10 or 15 meters during a maneuver. This is what is separating many of the pilots from 10th through 35th since all are flying so well. Gerhard Mayer style is the slowest, with very defined and precise close in flying at 150 meters. He has winglets on the top and bottom of his wings for increased control at these low airspeeds. Wind presents somewhat of a challenge, but the advantage is speed within the maneuvers is slower, with more time to make wind corrections during radius segments for example. Surprisngly, CLPR and BLRP flying YS 175 motors and larger diameter props (Brett and Onda also) are able to fly as slow as the electrics with defined, consistent speed throughout. Up to this point in the competition, I see no advantage or disadvantage to glow versus electric. Heading out to practice now.

Don