Thread: Falcon Flame
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 07:19 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Falcon Flame

PH,

I'm surprised Eric hasn't chimed in yet. There is nothing wrong with you engine per se. Most will do the same thing under certain conditions. My Wren Supersport did the same thing last Sunday when it was 95F and 90% humidity here. Last year at Michigan Jets conditions were similar and about half the guys there, and most brands, were having problems.

It's a function of air density and how quickly the air gets into the combustion chamber. So some engines are more susceptible depending on how efficient the compressor and combustion chamber are. On rapid accelerations fuel is being supplied faster than sufficient air can get into the combustion chamber. Due to incomplete combustion a lot of unburned fuel is coming out the exhaust and the flame migrates out the tailcone. Usually the engine will run fine at a steady rpm and if you advance the throttle slowly it will stay lit. If you have a dirty combustion chamber or clogged injector that can add to the problem. One temporary fix is to increase the ACCELERATION DELAY parameter so that the fuel is fed in more slowly; or just wait for a cooler, lower humidity day to fly.

At Michigan Jets I was able to run my Wren by increasing the ACCELERATION DELAY. My Falcon ran fine without any adjustment.

You'll probably have to unlock your ECU to access that parameter. Eric can tell you how to do that if he is willing.

Joe