RCU Forums - View Single Post - Buying Radios off Ebay???
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2003, 02:32 AM
linclogs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Radios off Ebay???

By illegal I'm referring to radios that do not meet narrow band requirements. And I've seen quite a few.

I don't know how you feel about it but I'm not crazy about the prospect of unknowing folks purchasing these radios, and maybe operating them close enough to me to cause a problem with my "legal" radios.

We all know the best advice to give a beginner is to get in with a local club or with an experienced modeler. But I worry about the guy that buys one of the cheapy backyard fliers (like from a department store), then decides to graduate to something more complex. He knows enough to see what the new radios cost in the hobby shops, but sees some "really great deals" on eBay. If he feels he can "do it one his own" without help from more experienced fliers, he's a candidate for picking up one of those illegal "bargains" on eBay.

I also know some folks don't care squat about whether the radios are legal or not. I've personally seen statements like, "This radio doesn't meet the new narrow band requirements but if you fly out in the boonies, it doesn't really matter". I have a problem with that.

I don't have a problem when the seller makes it known that, "This radio is no longer legal to operate and is being sold as a collector's item only". Seen quite a few of those, too.