RCU Forums - View Single Post - SIMLA BUILD THREAD
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 06:44 AM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SIMLA BUILD THREAD

ORIGINAL: billberry189

Duane, could you be a little more specific on ''no mods''? Would that be in relation to the shape of the air frame, mechanical changes such as rotating the engine 30 degrees as I did, and/or other changes? So far the only things I have modified are the engine placement and the addition of the .254'' CF tube to the stabilizer...... At this point I am way behind the curve when it comes to flight time( since I have not flown anything since 1975), but hopefully I can get some quality stick time before any such Simla meet takes place. If not, I would still be willing to show up with Simla in hand and maybe have one of you guys fly her.
NO Mods to me is building to "planform". The only differences should be in how much sanding is done. I suppose if somebody wants to bring a Simla "taildragger" or some such other abomination, they would be free to do so, (it's still a free country thank goodness), but I would hope they wouldn't want to build it that way. I would want anyone with a Simla to come regardless, but it would be so nice to have the planes all look like Ed's original Simla. Even Cees could bring his, and show us how it should have been done. Actually that WOULD be interesting, because at the end of the day, we all want the Simla to be true to the original.

The Simla is easy to fly, and appears to fly slower than most pattern planes of the period, so I don't believe you would have a problem once you have flown any low-wing sport plane. I remember when I received my first King Altair, (built RTF from another modeler). I saved the King until the end of the season, after I had experience with more "expendable" planes. When I finally flew the King, it was the most gorgeous flying plane I had ever owned...super easy to fly, (plus a bit slower), and easy to land. After flying it, I wondered why I had waited so long. The "King" is still one of my favorites, (as my RCU "handle" would indicate), and I still have one that's flyable. Here are pictures of the King Altair I've flown; the blue/green/white one was the first, followed by the orange/red/white, and finally the King Altair kit prototype, (#4) from Jeff, which I still have. I have one more King that looks like Altair #1, (but with a full 80" wingspan and a little on the heavy side), that needs a little Monokote trim and radio/engine installation.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31565.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1643859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20849.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1643860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi22151.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	73.1 KB