RCU Forums - View Single Post - pusher vs puller prop for single motor planes
Old 08-04-2011, 05:43 AM
Swift427

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: pusher vs puller prop for single motor planes

ORIGINAL: Montague
Now I'm confused about what is going on, but that's ok, it doesn't matter if I'm confused.
You are not alone ... So here's what I think is causing the right-handed(puller) vs. left-handed(pusher) confusion. The SC 480 brushed is gear driven so there are two possibilities. ONE: If the motor is wired for CW rotation then the prop is spinning CCW meaning the stock prop is actually a left-handed prop (pusher designed for puller application). TWO: If the brushed 480 is wired for CCW rotation then the prop is spinning CW and the stock prop is a right-handed prop (tractor/puller).

When converting the SC to brushless you could use an inrunner and say with gear reduction or an outrunner with direct drive. Depending on which way you go you can still use a right-handed prop or Tractor/puller prop as you either rotate the gear reduction inrunner CCW so the prop is spinning CW or you rotate the direct drive outrunner CW so the prop is spinning CW.

Reading through the thread again M9cat says ...

"Well the props were for my Hobbyzone SuperCub LP with a 480brushless,and the other is a FlyZone Select Piper Super Cub with a .10motor,,and yes i tried the prop out on the supercub lp first and it worked fine,no pull to either side,but a slightbit,isnt the fastest prop for the plane but it worked fine.. 10x6 masterairscrew works the best for that setup I found so far..any other advice will be much appreciated.."

So, it sounds like he may be using a 480 b/less inrunner with the same gear reduction setup. That means that if the inrunner is rotating CW then the prop would be spinning CCW meaning you would need to use a left-handed (pusher) prop for tractor/puller application. On the other hand(right-handed) he now knows he can reverse the rotation of the inrunner to CCW so the gear driven prop spins CW and now he has many options for trying out other right-handed, tractor/puller props to his hearts content.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81887.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	1644201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98247.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	1644202