RCU Forums - View Single Post - 3rd boat. flat deck 3-point hydro
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 07:22 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: 3rd boat. flat deck 3-point hydro

ORIGINAL: Mikeup

How about contacting Self-Inflicted or even looking at his site and info he has typed cause you've put your heart into this project. You can't stop now, i said so,LOL!! ?, are you by any chance going to use pink foam inside the sponsons and cover with 1/32 ply? Why i ask is, years ago i built a 25'' Cat of Jay Turner and used pink foam inside sponsons with 1/32 ply and worked great. That's when nimH were in play and added weight but i was a novice and only one boat site around at the time. Trial and error and just reading everything available to gain knowledge. Well, have a good day. BTW, Jays sponsons were 25'' long and 2 1/2'' deep and wide.
I'm not putting foam in the sponsons. They will be fiberglassed on the inside so they will be water tight. Hollow sponsons weigh less. The foam would only provide floatation if the sponsons/tub weren't water tight. Incidentally, I haven't put much effort I to this one. The overall design has proven to work well and go fast ( SI 3 boats ). I just dont have the money to buy one of his kits. ( I'm on that forum too ). This is a throwaway so if it doesn't float or go, I'm not out anything but time and free material.

I'm going to add 1/2" balsa strips for skin support in the sponsons and tub. I have to make modifications to the radio box to fit my hitec 645 servos, battery pack and Rx.

The 1/8" plywood I have wont make the bends necessary on the sponsons so 1/32" is the ticket. I'll have new pics up later today.