RCU Forums - View Single Post - Official Losi 26cc 5IVE-T Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Official Losi 26cc 5IVE-T Thread

ORIGINAL: 378

No, it won't. Torque steer has nothing to do with the engine's position and everything to do with the geometry of the steering system and the halfshafts going to the front wheels. If it's got one front shaft shorter than the other it's going to torque steer like a 305 Impala no matter where you mount the engine in the chassis. On top of that, you need to have a weak steering servo that can't control the wheels properly, or perhaps a bad servo saver. Even with unequal length front shafts, if the steering servo is strong enough and the linkage is tight you won't get torque steer. The servo would be able to counter the torque steer and force the wheels to hold their aim whether they want to or not.

Besides, every 1/8th buggy I've seen as of late has the spurs offset like that, and none of them torque steer.
lol? Yes. It. Will. Shaft length is one factor that causes torque steer. You are talking about one kind of torque steer, I'm talking about another.

Respectfully, you don't see torque steer in the sense I'm talking about it because you are a nitro person. Nitro engines don't make enough torque for the effect to be observed (it's slightly noticeable in on road to be fair). Gas engines and brushless motors do though. I'm not saying this thing will be impossible to accelerate straight or anything, but to those of us who can 'feel' it, it will be noticeable. The Savage Flux has a very strong torque steer effect, veers to the left under acceleration because the brushless motor is mounted longitudinally.

You seen gear drive axle crawlers tipping to to the side under motor torque when climbing? The exact same effect just more observable due to soft suspension, high resistance to the wheels and high torque motors.