RCU Forums - View Single Post - So what would you do in this situation?????
Old 09-18-2011, 02:38 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: So what would you do in this situation?????

ORIGINAL: Chris Smith

ORIGINAL: rcjets12

Maybe like some others in this hobby I have to save and it took time for me to have what I have but I will be damned if some one tells me or my son that I should not go to a jet event becausse I can not afford to pay for someones jet if and ACCIDENT happens. Like I said if some one is reckless that's a whole different thing.

After all this is a HOBBY
I'm only recommending each of us think about it.

What you're saying is probably how most feel. But, there are hazards. Who defines ''accident'' and who defines ''negligent'' or whatever. Who decides who is a good guy , and who's the jerk? What Andy is saying should get some folks thinking. Especially, if there are young people with limited or even enthusiastic parental support, or others not as financially well off mixing it up with other participants' expensive models on the same ramp, and sharing the same airspace.

All I'm suggesting is that most participants probably do not consider their financial exposure as discussed in this thread. Assuming what Andy suggests is the accepted standard, we are all a dumb thumb or mechanical failure away from buying an Ultra Bandit. Maybe that's how it needs to be. But it means you have a $15k or whatever, financial exposure with no insurance coverage if you choose to play.

Shows how cool this hobby must be since we are willing to do it anyway.
I'm not saying its the standard. In my opinion, the standard has been that people don't usually go to extremes to expect restitution for accidents. But as cost rise so do expectations. That is, all I am saying is that there is a .. potential for huge exposure. Most never think about it. Most never act on it. But there is always the chance that one will. The ole adage "ignorance is bliss" applies to this conversation for some who have posted here. After all... LOL, "its just a hobby" for God's sake!