RCU Forums - View Single Post - So what would you do in this situation?????
Old 09-19-2011, 01:28 PM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: So what would you do in this situation?????

ORIGINAL: junkjet

In light of this thread and the (collect restitution guy's) I will no longer fly at these events. It is sad that modelers expose their models to incident and then expect payment. If I park in an unprotected area I am exposing myself to risk. My decision to park there dose not expose all around me to risk of paying for my model. I sorry, it seems to me we are looking at this 180 backwards. It may have been told that it is ok to park there but that does not mean you are protected from risk. Reread post 57,65,66.
Freddy,

I can understand the concerns. However, the parking location of the models is really not the issue. It could have been in an accident tucked away in its tent. My guess is that the flying events; and I'll speak only to jet events, are more cordial than the thread may make it sound. Or so it seems to me.

But what has been articulated here is that a number of guys expect settlements, restitution, negotiations, repairs paid for, and evidence you are "manning up" for accidents. The expected cash outlay could be mitigated by who's your buddy, how old you are, or through litigation on the spot by the attending lawyers (hopefully one of whom is not the owner of the Ultra Bandit you ran into).

Maybe high cost RC generates this atmosphere. Maybe this is part of being a victim and being entitled. But it isn't the norm. And I was flying when proportional radios were new.

Having said all that, there are far too many folks showing up at meets and events with less than safety in mind, and a rather cavalier approach to flying and sane procedure. After awhile, guys with nice airplanes, who care about their hobby; and are willing to put resources into it, may tend to exhibit some frustration. The results could be demands for cash settlements, etc. Isn't this fun?

It does make one think about his/her exposure. That might be a good thing. But some of us may find that rather than the big jet meet, a peaceful uncontroversial football game on TV will do for a spell.