RCU Forums - View Single Post - Classic old hobbyshops
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 10:28 AM
donnyman

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts
Default RE: Edmunds Hobby Shop, Rochester, NY

Hello

I grew up in Brooklyn N.Y. but I couldn't possibly name all the stores that had model airplanes.

the first was a toy? store that had kits and yes I spent hours just gawking at them. let's see I visited A.H.C. and POLKS before they moved to New Jersey, a hobbyshop full of knowledgeable people and some of the most advanced models one could see at the time. you could spend days there and not see it all. I bought my first jet a aluminum F-94 for a Dyna jet in a times square store on lay away.

I hung around a hobby shop in Brooklyn in the basement of McCrory's five and dime for so long they put me to work and opened two hobby shops in Manhattan I worked in the one off fifth avenue, I stayed with them until I joined the Air Force in 1959.

without that job no way I could have afforded modeling as I did, no way!

a hobby shop on flatbush avenue was run by MR. Rostenstock a AMA historian, was also a place I lingered

Memories of flying at Floyd Bennet Airfield in the mirror meet contest still fill my memory.

I could go on for days but I've bored you enough............................................ ..........Happy flying ..............DONNY