RCU Forums - View Single Post - Advice on producing Fiberglass fuse from mold.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:11 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Default RE: Advice on producing Fiberglass fuse from mold.

Trent, there are going to be a great many ways of going about this. As far as materials go, wax and PVA is the best way to go for mold prep. Be cautious, not all waxes are compatable with PVA. I would never do a project like this with polyester. I would go with a good quality laminating epoxy and use a hardener that will give you about an hour pot life. I would wax, PVA the molds and then spray in a coat of epoxy primer and do the layup within 24 hrs of the primer being touch dry. As far as the cloth weight and how many layers is going to be a difficult thing for anyone to figure out online. I use alot of 4 oz cloth because it is readily available, easy to work with and 3 layers of 4 oz is going to be lighter and stronger then a single layer of 12 oz. You will most likely have to lay up a few before you get it figured out. Depending on what your expectations are and the size of the project you may want to consider some core materials and vacuum bagging. If you can gain access to inspecting a Comp ARF airplane you may learn a great deal.