RCU Forums - View Single Post - DA50 Props
Thread: DA50 Props
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 06:28 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DA50 Props

ORIGINAL: jsallade

I have run a DLE-55 on a Wildhare 30% Edge and now on a WH 30% Slick 540 and my standard prop on both airframes has been the Xoar 23x8 laminate (less flex than standard wood). I recently loaned a standard wood 23x8 Xoar to a buddy with a DA-50 equipped Yak ~28% craft who had been running a 22x8 (off brand) wood and he was more satisfied with the Xoar from the standpoint of less noise and a bit more pull with slightly less high end (rarely is speed very desirable in these aerobatics). Long story short, I would try the 23x8... I think most would prefer is over the 22x8 or 22x10 in the same manfacturer line.

One interesting test I did was to swap a buddy (temporarily) for his Mejzlik 23x8. He ran my Xoar 23x8 laminate on his DA-50. I ran his on my DLE-55. His Mejzlik was slightly but noticably quieter on my airplane but also slightly less pull. The Mejzlik is a $70 prop versus my Xoar at $30 so it's tough for me to justify the difference in cost... The Mejzlik is nice but $40 nicer?? He noticed the increased pull on his airplane as well but again it was slight.
Just got my DLE55 running after some mods to reduce weight. I have mine piped (ES Composites, 50G pipe, with the standard RTC header from DA). Running avgas at 50:1 gas-oil mix, Bel Ray MC1 racing oil
Prop is 22 1/4 x 12 MDK hybrid that I make

Very strong running set-up. The test bed I have it mounted in (light at less than 13 pounds) is a good placed to get some running right now before the snow flies