RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nitro Models 90" P-38 (1/7 scale) with 3 piece wing and more
Old 10-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Nitroplanes 90

Aloha Guys,
I managed to get most all my P-38 stand complete. I still need to do some minor finishing work, but its almost done. I will be doing a natural wood finish to the stand, then get on with the finish work with the airframe. The stand ended up a bit different then I first invissioined, but it will do the trick. I've enclosed a few pictures of it for you, and when it is finished...I'll show you the final work to it.

Since my model is not a three piece unit like yours, I needed to make a stand where, I could assemble the model at home and at the flying field. So I made supports for the engine booms/nacelles, both fore and aft-and supported the wing, w/pilot pod together, like your stand. The way I built my stand, one person can assemble the model, without any help-with the engine nacelles removeable. I was forced to make my model this way, because I don't have a car or van large enough to get my model, to the flying field-as a three piece unit. Its a hastle to assembel the model, but with my stand, it is a bit easyer to do the assembly. With out a doubt, the best way is to make this P-38, is like you did (with a three piece wing), but I was forced to do otherwise. My next P-38, will have a three piece wing...for sure.

I have yet to screw on the aft and forward boom/engine nacelle supports and add the quarter round trim. But with a little luck, I should get them measured, cut, finished and installed in the next day or two. The supports are going to be screwed in with hardware (wing nuts and bolts), into pre-drilled holes. I then can adjust my stand for other P-38 projects later on. I'm looking at the G&P 84" P-38, and I may just build that model next.

I made my stand, so I can run the engines assembled on the stand (tied down of course), and cycle the landing gear, with the engines running. I've also easy access to all my switches and air fill valve for the model-I cut lots of lightening holes in the proper places to make easy access to the model, while on the stand.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94760.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1673282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23261.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	1673283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86516.jpg