RCU Forums - View Single Post - Giggles-n-Grins Somethin' Extra
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2011, 05:32 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Giggles-n-Grins Somethin' Extra

Things that guys do to their poor lil SSEs ...
    [*]Bigger control surfaces probably heads up the list.[*]Adding counters to the elev & rudd.[*]An updated cowl approach. Many toss the standard "cowl cheeks" for either a fiberglass cowl (Fiberglass Specialties for example) or a built up cowl.[*]Many rotate the engine 90 to 180 degrees to clean up the "side view".[*]Some eliminate the flying wires on the fin & stab.[*]Some find an alternative to the "J" hooks used to tie the wings together.[*]Tint the canopy. Modify the canopy profile.[*]Sheet the turtle deck.[*]Add a fuel tank hatch.[/list]
    I used nylon 1/4x20 bolts to replace the "J" hooks. During a 2nd flight of a day I pulled a high rate roll at full throttle. A wing flew off. Em, not good. The nylon bolt had vibrated out of the blind nut embedded behind the wing root rib. I had a conversation with Mike (last name forgotten) who was still flying his '91 SSE. It was the prototype pictured on the box. He was the designer of the SSE. He still used the original "J" hooks. Since then I have seen no need to do anything else - just keep an eye on the #64 rubber band - change frequently.

I have over 30 shortcuts of RCU SSE-related threads. If you're interested, PM me and I'll try to get the list of links to you.