RCU Forums - View Single Post - 31% Fokker Dr-1 Scratch Build
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2011, 04:24 PM
rcwarbirdbuilder
My Feedback: (104)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 31% Fokker Dr-1 Scratch Build

31% Fokker DR-1 Scratch Build.... I have scratch built a Nieuport 17 and Nieuport 28C 1/3 scale size along with four Fokker D-7 and two Fokker D8, ( In fact I have the 1/3 D-8 listed for sale on RCU now with photos and link to the first flight video on the add) ... The Fokker D7 my favorite flys great and iseasy to land with out getting squirlie on landings. The Nieuports are also great flying airplanes... Having built many different airplanes I have never built or flown a DR-1 tri plane so I thought it would be my next project. I well be sure to install the wing tip skids since they all seem to drag a wing on landing and maybe just a slightly wider wheel stance, nothing noticeable of course.. I found the 1/4 scales a little on the small size for me, and the 1/3 scale just a little larger than what I wanted to be powered with a G-62 engine I have on hand..
I amgoing with a sturdy low maintenance, nice looking sport scale model, easy to repair if I have a flying mishap,with some scale detailing with out going to deep. First thing was to look up the Dr-1 in my scale drawingsbooks to get some construction details of the full size planes and get photos of what I want the airplane to look like.
As for plans I went with a Balsa USA 1/4 size plans and modifide the plans to what I need andenlarged it to just a little over 31% size at Kinko's which should come out to about a 87" wing span. I have bought many 1/3 size fiberglass cowls from Fiberglass specialties as well as spun aluminum cowls from Balsa USA and have modified them and have been very satisfied with both.
For now I am not going to post lot of pictures of every little detail or do a lenghty forum on this project, but it well give some one a idea of how I tackle the problem of building a airplane to a particular size choice as I proceed. Couple of possible DR-1 color schemes which I like below.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96651.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1677584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65285.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	683.2 KB
ID:	1677585