RCU Forums - View Single Post - Making muffler bridge adapter..
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 05:48 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: Making muffler bridge adapter..

ORIGINAL: earlwb

People are sometimes amazed and surprised to see how much RPMs or power is lost with some mufflers.
I have seen as much as a 3,000 rpm drop in performance with some mufflers. Then we have other mufflers that have little to no drop in RPMs when used, and a few mufflers that actually increase the RPMs too.

When I did some experiments to satisfy some of my curiosity, I found that a Fox Eagle IV .60 would turn about the same RPMs using the same prop as a Rossi engine and the same muffler. Both engines really came alive using a Performance Specialties tuned muffler (a Nelson Muffler). Both engines were within a 100 RPMs of each other, which pretty much makes them equal then. The stock OEM Fox muffler, although it works OK, it is more noisy than I like and it restricts the engine power a lot.

Using a 9x5 or 9x6 prop on a .30 is a pretty reasonable assumption to make. The older design .29's through .35 engines typically all ran the 9x5 through 9x6 props. They usually didn't like lugging down so much with the 10x6 props. Where a .40 would run a 10x6 prop OK. But then the modern big bore .25 engines that were bored out for .32, .35 and .36 displacements or even larger too, would turn a 10x6 prop really well.

Well, comparing the size of the stock (loud) muffler that came with the Enya to the TT muffler, theres a big difference. The enya muffler isnt as small as the ST S.29 muffler, but it had "power robber" written all over it. This little engine has a little more bark to it, I think.

I tested a full range of props on the stock muffler after I finished break-in and then I ran the same series of props to compare against with the bigger muffler. When I fly it, I'll keep it on a 9x5 or 9x6 most likely. My TT .46 on the stock muffler only turns the 10x6 2400rpm faster than the .30 Enya does on the TT muffler.

I will be getting a ST S.29 ringed next month thats coming with a full tuned pipe. I might do a few experiments with that pipe too between the two engines. I still have an airboat that needs to break the sound barrier one of these days.