RCU Forums - View Single Post - Batteries
Thread: Batteries
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 05:17 AM
mike109

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Batteries

G'day

Lately I have been using Sanyo Eneloop batteries in my receiver packs and even in some transmitters. Here in Australia they are available made up into 4 and 5 cell receiver packs in various sizes (800 mAh AAA cells and 2000 mAh AA cells) and shapes (flat, square etc) and as 6 and 8 cell transmitter packs with the correct connectors for JR/Spektrum, Hitec and Futaba equipment. The big advantage of the Eneloop cells is their extremely low self discharge rate. Even after three years storage, an Eneloop will still hold 75% of its original charge.

They also come fully charged and can be used immediately without charging though a couple of cycles gets them fully working to their maximum capacity.

More info is available at sanyo.com/eneloop

If there is a downside to the Eneloop it is that they are not suitable for fast charging and can be damaged by overcharging but I have found that the chargers supplied with my various radios charge them perfectly. I also use a Swallow charger to charge them at 200mAh which gives a thorough charge but slowly and does not overcharge them.

I am sure someone in the US is making them into receiver and transmitter packs. Our local importer does so if you get stuck, they are widely available here in Australia.

Mike in Oz