RCU Forums - View Single Post - Wanna make mold of this cowl, how?
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wanna make mold of this cowl, how?

ORIGINAL: ARUP

Relieve foam from the inside and install a smooth disc faired into the nose ring. Plug has to be slick. Paint it, wax it, stick it to a parting board, Klean-Klay the plug to board junction, apply mold release, lay on the resin and cloth, wait for proper cure, remove parting board and then pop plug from mold. The plug looks like it may have to be made in at least two parts for it appears the mid section circumference is slightly larger than the aft end's circumference. Even if it is a perfect cylinder it would need to be made in two parts. You need a certain amount of 'relief angle' from the parting board in order to create a one piece mold.I have a tutorial on RCScalebuilder. I made a cowl for a 1/4 DH-5 which is in 'scratchbuilds'.
So ur are suggesting that i burn the foam from inside first and the block the lip from inside and start from there.
Another thing i should mention here is that, i didn't used fiberglass cloth on this plug, what you see is few layers of epoxy resin only, so if i go with your suggestion, will resin alone will hold it's shape or will it get distorted as i will burn the foam
with gasoline....

Other thing is, i'm not on rcscalebuilders site anymore, so how can your tutorial be seen with paying for that site.