RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 01:46 PM
JRockZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Hey guys, Long time reader here, been reading this thread the last 2+ weeks so much good info but so sporatically spread its all hard to find but if you search well most things you need to knwo seem to show up here or elesewhere. I havent posted on here in awhile or since i have had my Evader, I'd just like to put in my 2 cents worth and give a description of my Evader and what ive done with it incase anyone else wants to use what i have to say.

I bought my truck from my LHS where i have become friends with the owner and all the regulars that hang there, They had this EXT on the shelf for a year or more from my understanding, The owner knowing im on a major budget and in need of a decent truck told me i could have the evader on a close out sale for 75 bucks, so i bout the truck and a 3000mah Nimh 8.4v battery. The first day i got it i ran it a few times around my apt complex and i was rather impressed with it but wanted some more uuumph yet i wanted to stay brushed so i purchased a 15T AE rebuildable motor for it,, major dissappointment!! I could run faster than that motor was so i went back to the stock photon2 and went down to an 18T pinion gear and even though the top speed i wanted wasnt there it was still enjoyable. I failed to mention earlier that within thefirst or secondbattery i ran through itthe trans case screws and motor plate had come loose and stripped the spur gear so if you just bought one of these take your trans screws out and put a dab ofsome weak loctite on them NOW!!

I raced the truck the first weekend i had it up at my LHS (parking lot with wood ramps style track but so funnn!) and noticed i had almost no steering unless i hit the hooks and swung the rear end around, this is ok but i just wasnt used to running that way, iam now and i actually enjoy it. My first mod othe rthan the failed motor swap was to flip over my front a-arms to give it a longer stance, i didnt think this was going to work like it had for me in the past on other R/C's but it did!! I may have lost a tiny bit of steering circumfrence but the end result was well worth it and so far ive not broken ANY front end parts at all except the cheesy stock bumper, I found a small, what i call a bull bumper from a nito inferno buggy and it fit right into the stock holes with the original bumper attached still but the upper lip cut off.

Run run run,, Run with me (yes old doors song lol) this evader withstood a good bashing with the stock motor, i even found that it climbs and jumps off the chainlink fence in my tennis courts if i run paralell with the fence and then slowly turn into the fence it will grab the fence and shoot straight up in the air about 2-4 ft and then in most cases land back on all fours and continue on!! Hillarious!!

After alot of jumps off the wood ramps at my LHS and in most cases landing on concrete the rear chassis plate had become worn bad and my motor guard came unattached so i added some new longer screws and another motor plate so i actually have two that sandwich the rear chassis plate inbetween eachother, good idea i thought and it is except the new longer screws i used i didnt notice were hitting the motor and eventually busted the magnet inside the motor,,, so i had to go back to the AE motor i didnt like, i re geared i think with a 17t pinion and it was uesable, i ever so cleverly used some larger screws to go through the rear chassis plate and both the motor guards, now the screws sit flush to the chassis but still stuck out from the underside like fangs lol, when i took a hard enuff jump you could hear them dig in,,, after about 30 mins of thisi cracked the motor magnets AGAIN!!

So i found a used traxxas Velineon system for 50 bucks and threw that in, knowing im probably going to strip diff gears as most of you have already done but also knowing the new ones for theEvader BL are coming soon and i have 2 extra plastic ones for the meantime.
Mind you iam still running with just Nimh batteries and so far so good after about 8 packs run through it and one stripped spur gear due to my poor job of setting the correct mesh. I wound up using a thick chunk of rubber under my motor this time to prevent any future motor problems as well as i stiffened up the rear springs some too. my over all rating on this truck is ITSBADDASS!!! all the other guys running short course up at my LHS probably think im nuts and my truck is a junker but im keeping up and i enjoy it all together!! Thanks for reading
ANDNOW!! back to your regular programing!!

JRockZ