RCU Forums - View Single Post - Newbie what plane?
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2003, 11:55 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie what plane?

Originally posted by Dragus
I was wondering isnt the slow stick Nitro? I am not new to rc just new to airplanes. I run 1/10 scale on and off roads. now I guess my next question is, is this something if i go with the slow stick I can go out and figure out as I go? Or do I have to join a club? I appreciate everyones input.
No, the Slow Stick is electric. This IS the Electric Training forum

As far as do you "have" to join a club... No, you don't. You don't "have" to do anything. However, if you are in a crowded area, and there is a club with a flying site nearby, it is probably in your best interest to at least visit them and see what they have to offer. Mind you that some clubs are not worth joining, but most are. The best place to visit a club is at a club meeting; you may or may not find someone at the field, and those people you do find may or may not be able to help you in getting started. Don't be shy, but don't be rude and interrupt if someone is clearly trying to fly his/her airplane or is working on it. Don't be discouraged if someone doesn't jump up and welcome you with a hearty handshake and a fruit basket; some people expect the red carpet to be rolled out for them. Lots of fliers are very shy and even have trouble talking to strangers. Go ahead and break the ice, show them you don't bite, be friendly and outgoing. As soon as you show that you want to talk about their favorite subject, they'll open up

If the club is VERY nearby, and you get a 72MHz radio, you really should join the club so you can fly at their field. That way, you won't be likely to turn on your transmitter when someone else on the same frequency is flying their airplane. You will shoot someone on the same frequency down, or they will shoot you down if you have both radios on at the same time. But, since you race cars you are probably aware of the effects of frequency conficts.