RCU Forums - View Single Post - Psychology of RC flying
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 05:42 AM
ZoomZoom-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Psychology of RC flying

In this vein, I would also mention pre-flight mentality as being a big source of assistance in achieving the proper "mind frame" for flying. I often find myself becoming distracted by other life issues (or just trivial things) before flying, and those are the times when I seem to be the most out of touch, and have the worst performances. In addition, when I have thought about the machine I'm going to be flying a bit, before I take her up, (wrap my brain around it in essence), I find the outcomes are always much better. Almost like a proper pre flight check if you will. You re-aquaint yourself with that particular plane and truly mentally put youself in that particular pilot seat.

I definitely felt that in a bad turn! I don't know how my brain creates this sensation but I feel physically weird.

You mentioned this Abu, as well as feeling stick pressure at one point, and it reminded me of one occasion when I was flying a smallish Focke Wulf 190 A8, and having a good bit of fun wringing it out. It was one of those days when I was "in the groove", and your mentality is wrapped well around the plane....an almost out of body state. So I'm coming down hard from a very high loop, augur a few times and then straighten out while still diving nose earthward, when I hear it......a buzzing sound. Now I don't know where it came from, cause in the moment I really don't feel I could've connected the dots that quickly as this had never happened to me before, but instantly the words flashed across my mind...."high speed flutter!" I quickly chopped all throttle and eased back on the elevator a touch, ( It really felt as though it were lead....perhaps it felt that way due to the lack of results from inputs)....but nothing....still plummeting. The ground is rushing up.....more severe elevator added....slowly.....the buzzing ceases....the nose comes up ever so slightly. More altitude gone and not much left.......almost full up elevator now, but not too much as there could be a snap! She starts to level as if in slow motion....but the ground is in high speed......she levels off at inches above the ground skimming the grass, and I ease her back out into the sky. All I can say is that it was a good thing I was in the zone that day, otherwise I would have been digging that particular 190 out of the ground to take what was left home.

It truly did remind me of all the bomber movies you see where the pilots are in a dive for some reason, and trying frantically with all their might to pull her out..... although we all know there is no force feedback present. Truly an odd sensation.

ZZ.