RCU Forums - View Single Post - Brodak Basic Trainer
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 05:53 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Brodak Basic Trainer

ORIGINAL: cheezer1222
I have a few questions about the kit as well. It has a strip of paper with airfoil templates (root and tip). How do I use those? I don't normally do much building and sanding and all that good stuff, I have a few ARFs that I've assembled, but that's about it, and these instructions seem to be aimed at a somewhat proficient builder. In other words, a lot of the information seems to be implied. Instead of me just guessing and messing it up, I figured I'd ask some of the more basic questions that I don't know, so that I don't mess this up.
The templates are used to monitor progress as you sand or cut (razor plane) to airfoil shape. You cut out the bottom parts of the paper shape and occasionally place them over the wing. No need to be a proficient builder, but you are stepping up from assembler to builder.

Also, I thought the wing was pretty symmetrical, but now that I look at it, I may have glued it in backwards. Not sure if I did, it's not super obvious (to me, anyway), but if I did, would it be possible to just sand it the way I want it, or am I pretty much screwed? (I get a little too ambitious with my gluing sometimes)
Look at the plans, then look at what you have to determine if it's backwards...upside down? If it is backwards, first question is what type of glue did you use? You might be able to remove it with the correct solvent. Otherwise, round off what is NOW the leading edge and taper what is NOW the trailing edge. It might not fly as well as it could have, but it WILL fly.

You don't suppose that you are the first person to ever glue the wing on backwards. [&o]

Next kit, read and understand the instructions before setting glue to balsa. (That said, we all sometimes get anxious.)

Good luck, and ask any questions you have along the way...preferably before glueing.

George