My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Prop injury in the news

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: flyinwalenda
ORIGINAL: warningshot
ORIGINAL: flyinwalenda
ORIGINAL: blvdbuzzard

Several years ago at the local field, a student had finished her 4th flight. Pilot let her out by the door to the school. Engine was off. She was walking to the door, he fired up the plane and started to taxi to where they park the plane. He looks out sees her running next to the plane, he panics, slams on the breaks, she runs into the prop. Tore her up pretty bad. She did live. What caused all of this, she left her purse in the plane.

The school shut down for almost two weeks. Pilot was a basket case. It really effected him. He was never the same. She had the physical injuries, he had some really bad mental injuries.

Some time is it hard for people to understand that two pieces of matter cannot be in the same spot at the same time.

It is a real shame she has to go through all of this. I hope she recovers as best as she can.

Buzz.
The reported story is missing lots of information...typical media......but I would say the above scenario might fit this accident.
Maybe that is all the info they were given.
Could be but it's up to the ''reporter'' to dig and get the information to write a complete article not simply print what is given to them especially when it leads the readers to form their own conclusions as to what really happened.
So when a reporter is unable to get all the details initially what are they supposed to do? Should they hold the article until every minute detail is known or should they go ahead and publish to inform the public of what's known at the time?

And for reference, many of us readers are fully capable of reading an article and not jumping to conclusions when all the facts are not known. Should the media's actions be governed by a small number of people who feel the need to speculate on causes when all the facts are not yet known?

Instead of stating "It was believed she went back to thank the pilot and walked into the spinning prop" without any facts supporting if she: got out with the engine running, or got out with the engine off but came back after the engine restarted, or....,or,....or......
I think honest responsible reporting would have been: "she was injured by the spinning propeller ,it was not clear how it happened and we will update the story when we have all the facts" Mostly it seems they create a sensational story albeit full of holes just to sell it and the facts may or may not come out later.