RCU Forums - View Single Post - Boogie Board Airboat
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 01:31 PM
CTSmithey
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boogie Board Airboat

My dad and I have built a Airboat out of a boogie board. We have read a lot about it and wanted to try this out since we had a old Ryobi 31cc weedwacker laying around. We were "hoping" to get off cheap well HAHA! we learned nothing is cheap.This went from a maybe 100$ job into now at 200+ and needing new servos on only her 2nd run. 1st and 2nd run on water both times she fliped in turns, 2nd time was a flip at idle we are a bit frustrated here.

A little back ground on the build. We used all aluminum for the frame work, the rudders we made out of a thin NOSMOKINsign hehe, we just added the small side fins you see after I flipped her at idle the other day. We have not "converted" the engine with a prop hub we had a piece of aluminum stock and made it our self. This old motor was used for 6 or 7 years of wacking his property so it has mass hours on it but it ran we just rebuilt the carb and tossed new lines and primer bulb on it to get it working. We are trying to learn by doing it this way about how to place things, what to look for. I was told we got to get our gas tank down that with the fuel sloshing around uptop like that would cause top heavy problems, and that the rudders need to be made of a thicker material, we are using a pushpull setup on the rudders with a rudder link but read that since that sign is such a flimsy thing that with the power the 16x10 prop is pushing out it is also buckleing on us. Any advice or info would be great. Soon here we are going to buy a new motor 99% sure from someone here on the forums as there are some great setups that people have in the For Sale area but for that motor we are going to build a nice hull for it. The board is only 33"x16" I have a feeling it is way to narrow and short that is a lot of motor to put on something that small I feel. At this time the servos and radio box are removed we were trying to dry them out to maby salvage the servos it did not work.

We have read through a ton of posts and all and we know we got a lot to do, but if anyone sees anything that could give us more stability from this please let me know.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and reply all is greatly appreciated.

CTSmithey