RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fiberglassing questions: Why Bondo Specifically and Regarding Seams and now, more
Old 01-05-2012, 06:20 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Fiberglassing questions: Why Bondo Specifically and Regarding Seams and now, more

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

Justin, glassing an airplane is actually easy to do, it just takes some time. First, get the airplane prepped as if you are going to use an iron on covering. The glass won't hide anything. Get the surface as dust free as possible. I lay out a piece of 3/4 oz cloth on a surface, pour out about a silver dollar size spot of resin and with a playing card squeegee the resin towards the outside. Work slowly and get the cloth wetted out but not soaking in resin. When the cloth is wetted and smoothed out, get some toilet paper and blot as much resin out of the cloth as possible. This will greatly reduce the amount of sanding required. When overlapping allow the first side to fully cure and feather edge before the next side. Now that the whole airplane is covered, I have a 6'' sq peice of blue foam and use it as a sanding block with 220 grit. Very lightly sand and feather any seams being careful not to burn through the glass. Once smooth you will need to fill the weave some. There are lots of ways to do this from using a past filler to just start spraying primer. What I do is saturate a paper towel with resin and wipe it on the surface. The resin will stick to itself better then any filler will and because it dosent have any clay is lighter. After a final sanding this surface will be ready for primer. I like the Klass Kote primer system. It is light, fills well and sands fantastic. It is also fuelproof. Pictured is the last airplane I painted using this system.

I add a bit of denatured alcohol to my epoxy mix to thin it a bit. This makes the epoxy a bit thinner and squeegees better. Use the above technique but look carefully at the surface. If the surface is shiny and looks "wet" you have to much resin. If a spot looks "dry" you need a bit more. If I have excess I try to squeegee it off the trailing edge if possible to get rid of it. I can't remember if I have ever soaked up excess with a paper towel like some do, but that's just my technique.

Good Luck on your project.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Ken